Devereux’s philosophy of care represents an organizational commitment to the clients and families who are served by Devereux. Devereux’s philosophy of care focuses on three core principles of service delivery: individualized service delivery, effective/accountable service delivery, and positive approaches.
Individualized Service Delivery is driven by the unique strengths, needs, potentials, realities and expectations of the individual client and, especially for children and adolescents, his/her family.
- Enhancing inherent strengths and remediating deficits
- Developing treatment goals that are consistent with client/family values
- Collaborating with client families on treatment planning
- Embracing culturally competent practice
- Engaging in active discharge planning
- Providing culturally and developmentally appropriate care
Effective/Accountable Service Delivery is a balanced approach to service delivery that seeks significant and practical treatment gains while taking into account the context
in which services are being provided.
- Using clinical data to drive treatment and programmatic decision making
- Embracing evidence-based practice
- Striving for continuous quality improvement
- Implementing socially valid treatment
- Practicing risk management
- Providing safe, ethical, and humane treatment
Focus on Positive Approaches represents an emphasis on skill building, relationship development, individual strengths, proactive or preventive intervention and the recognition that all individuals can change.
- Focusing on skill-oriented service models
- Focusing on strength-based treatment planning
- Endorsing prosocial models of service provision
- Embracing proactive and preventative methods of intervention
- Fostering hope as an active form of supportive care
- Planning normalization and inclusion as treatment targets
- Embracing the application of person-centered service planning
Devereux’s Therapeutic Program Design
Devereux’s programs were created using techniques and practices proven to be effective. All programs incorporate:
System-wide Positive Behavior Support
Research shows that positive environments promote good social-emotional well being, physical health and learning. System-wide Positive Behavior Support uses a motivational/rewards-based system with clearly-stated expectations that promotes the strengths of our clients and decreases dangerous or unhealthy behaviors.
Trauma Informed Care
Trauma Informed Care focuses on making sure those we serve feel safe and are sensitively supported while therapeutically confronting past trauma. Evidence-based, trauma-focused treatment is provided to clients who need such intervention.
Research indicates that treatment works best in a supportive family environment. Families perform best when they are educated about their loved one’s illness and provided with the skills to support treatment. Involving the families of those we serve is critical to help them progress in treatment.
Functional Behavioral Assessments
For those with challenging behaviors, Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBAs) offer insight into why an individual is behaving a certain way. These assessments help inform treatment plans in a way that allows for more successful outcomes. Devereux utilizes certified behavior analysts to direct and oversee the use of FBAs.
has several specialty programs. Areas of specialization include treatment of
autism and autism spectrum disorders, alcohol and other substance use
disorders, behavioral disorders in individuals with intellectual disabilities,
as well as co-morbid conditions. Our Georgia program provides
highly-specialized treatment for sexually exploited or trafficked girls.