What We Do
Devereux is a leading nonprofit behavioral health organization that supports many of the most underserved and vulnerable members of our communities. Founded in 1912 by Helena Devereux, we operate a comprehensive national network of clinical, therapeutic, educational and employment programs and services that positively impact the lives of tens of thousands of individuals and families every year. We also focus on research-based prevention initiatives that help children and adolescents develop resilience and strong emotional and social health. We help empower children and adults with intellectual, emotional, developmental, and behavioral challenges to lead fulfilling and rewarding lives.
Devereux changes lives and nurtures human potential. We inspire hope, ensure well-being, and promote meaningful life choices.
- We support a respectful and integrated team approach.
- We foster personal and professional growth of our staff.
- We develop innovative and effective solutions.
- We partner with families and communities.
To provide consistently high quality programs, services and resources in safe and supportive environments that enrich and empower individuals and communities, and provide support to help them be the best they can be.
Our Philosophy of Care
Devereux’s Philosophy of Care, detailed below, is the philosophy that guides its decision-making practices in all programs and serves as a foundation for current and future initiatives.
The three core principles of service delivery are:
- Individualized Service Delivery is driven by the unique strengths, needs, potentials, realities and expectations of the individual client and his/her family. Service is provided in the least restrictive environment.
- Effective/Accountable Service Delivery is a balanced approach to service delivery that seeks significant, practical, and sustainable treatment gains.
- Focus on Positive Approaches represents an emphasis on skill building, relationship development, individual strengths, and proactive intervention.
"The Devereux aim has and must always be to innovate and build programs of excellence. Our programs will be of such excellence that they may become models for this and other nations."
Helena T. Devereux, Founder
Board of Trustees
Devereux's active Board of Trustees and administrative officers are from around the nation. Click here to view Devereux's National Board of Trustees.
President & CEO, Robert Q. Kreider is Devereux's sixth president in a 100-year history. Learn More »